Saturday, October 31, 2015



The new favorite of my bulbous pieces - no texture on this one - it  has a red Amaco glaze called Deep Firebrick, which I have come to like more and more. It has a nice luminous quality when it's thinner and when thicker/more layers, it's much deeper, richer and redder.  The re looks really pretty next to the strip of Saturation Gold (also Amaco).  The base is just one dip of Creme Matte (Standard), which is currently a favorite.  I am nuts about the matt finish of the glaze, but also how it allows the manganese speckles in the Standard 112  to shine through.

















I also like how this one turned out - it's a Coyote glaze - Ice Blue, which is a really beautiful glaze, and Creme Matte on the bottom part of the pot.  The Ice Blue is incredibly runny, and despite being only around the rim, ran about 3/4 of the way down the pot over the Creme Matte.  It has a sort of wheat field in the summer dreamy quality to it that I like.







Here are the pots that are the most disappointing from this batch because of how the turquoise glaze came out. My pottery teacher, Linna, thought that the pieces probably didn't get hot enough for the glaze to mature, so the result is an off- putting, plastic like look.  I might not mind it so much, but the first two pots I made using that glaze came out perfectly, so these just look awful in comparison. The big one is currently being recooked as we speak.  Linna jerry-rigged something to try to simulate a shelf over the pot to get it hotter.  I also thought the pot was too boring for it's size - the texture wasn't really dynamic, the shape is nothing special, the color was a dead brown black, and with the turquoise a big fat fail,  there wasn't much to like!   It does have a nice strong presence, so I figured it would be worth trying to save.  So, I added 3x Obsidion and then 3x Firebrick on the body of the pot.  I'm not very hopeful as refires are hit or miss for me, but as we say in the studio, we shall see.

The smaller pot with the beetle topper also has a ring of under matured turquoise.  I didn't refire it, but might do so depending on how the big one comes out.   I do have to say that I love the beetle and how the gold matured on that part of the pot.  Hopefully re-firing will work on the big guy, and the little one will get a second bake.



No comments:

Post a Comment