Friday, July 3, 2015

Sodium Silicate

Sodium Silicate

      I love texture on pots, and I've particularly admired the textures that you can get on thrown pots with sodium silicate.  I've been reluctant to try this technique because I didn't feel confident enough in my throwing skills - the trick is that you have to be able to expand/stretch the pot from the inside, without any hand support on the outside of the pot.  But we recently got some sodium silicate at the studio, and I decided to go for it.  
     This was one of two small pots I made using this technique - I tossed the other one, but I liked this one well enough to keep.   I really like the organic, dry, cracked earth effect from glazing with oxides; I used red iron oxide on the texture on this pot - the rim and interior were glazed with Cream Matt and Green Tea.







No comments:

Post a Comment