Tuesday, June 23, 2015

Way out of my "normal" 

Molded scallop shell platter - about 11" by 9 1/4".  
The impulsive urge to make this piece came when I walked into the studio, fully intending to have a few frustrating hours of attempting to throw10" cylinders, and spied the dusty plaster mold Linna made sitting in a corner of the studio.  I've never had that urge before, and don't know if I will have it again.  But, while the shell is uncharacteristic of my usual style (I would likely not consider buying it if I saw it in a shop) it makes me happy.  I especially love the glaze combo, which ended up with that iridescent, mother-of-pearl looking glow, which I really like.  
I used Coyote glazes on this piece - Archie's Base and Eggplant - both favorites of mine - 
and I think they flowed together beautifully.



Here's a detail of the scallop shell platter - there is a lot going on in this cone6/oxidation gaze combo.

So continuing with the nautical theme, I made a couple of press plates using a starfish stamp that Linna carved and suggested as companion pieces for the scallop shell platter - again - much more Linna - but I really like these happy little starfish.  These are made with Cream Matt and then two new celadon glazes.



And last but not least, the finished cockroach - the antennae fell off, but I baked him anyway.  Abby told me that it doesn't look at all like a bug, and from an anatomically correct perspective, she is right - but I guess I don't really care.  I love the warmth of this brown stoneware and also the way the manganese in the clay shows through the glazes as dark speckles in the finished piece.  This is Creme Matt with Green Tea on the wing shells.

No comments:

Post a Comment